Friday, May 2, 2008

The father and the son

(This part of the torn diary is dedicated to a pearl)
Scene 3
Character: The son and the father
Forest/ Evening
(The son is reciting poetry, drinking beer and picking dry woods. He is reciting poetry in a harsh voice.)
The son:
My father is cruel like lion
He is going to kill me
If I were stronger than him
Certainly I would teach him

The voice of Father:
Your poetry is not in meter, fool!
The son:
(Irritated he gulps his beer )You want my voice only, not meter.

The voice of Father:
Whatever you do, do it with perfection. I will not allow to break the rules of poetry…
(The son sees a wild rabbit and looks at the half finished bottle, then he gulps the whole beer of the bottle in one breath and throws it at the rabbit. The bottle strikes the rabbit and he runs fast to catch it. The wounded rabbit tries to run but the son catches it after a little exercise)

The voice of Father:
Do not stop! Recite your nonsense poetry.

The son:
(Looking at the rabbit who is nearly dead in his hands)
I have killed a rabbit!

The voice of Father:
Bring it here!
(The son comes to the father who is working over the dead bird with his knife. His hands are full of blood. He is happy to see it.)

The father:
You have done a good job! (When he sees that the son has come without the wood he becomes angry and points his knife at the son.)
Where is the wood?

The son:
How could I have brought it here? I have only two hands.

The father:
(In an angry tone) Put down the rabbit and bring the wood.
(The son silently gives him the rabbit and looks at his father)

The father:
Now why are you standing here? Just go and get the wood.

The son:
I have been running too much. I am thirsty.

The father:
Get the water in my jeep.
(The son goes to the jeep and sees the carton of beer. )

The son:
(Opening the carton, he picks up a bottle)
Can I drink, another bottle?

The father:
Beer!
The son:
Yes!
The Father:
You can…and get one for me.
(The son picks up two bottles and goes to his father. He hands the bottles to father, who is watching the half-alive rabbit.)

The father:
It is still alive…(Looking at the bottles) open it.

The son:
I don't have an opener, how can I open it?

The father:
Use your teeth...(in a humiliating tone)…Oh ! I have forgotten you are just a kid!

The son:
Yes! I am still a kid.

The father:
No, you are not a kid, You tried to kill me…you are no longer a kid! Use your teeth.
(The son opens a bottle with his teeth)
You have poisonous teeth like a snake…Don't worry I'll break them all…
(The father takes the bottle and drinks, while the son opens the second bottle and drinks. The father looks at the rabbit again, and mumbles.)

It is in pain. Let me relive it's pain.
(He cuts the throat of the rabbit with his knife.)
Go and get the wood.
(The son turns back, drinking the beer, he recites poetry)

The son:
My father is cruel like lion
He is going to kill me
If I were stronger than him
Certainly I would teach him

The father:
I do not mind killing a son like you.(He drinks the beer)

Cut to….
Scene 4
Characters : The son and the father
Forest/ Evening
(The son has collected a large pile of wood. With the wood he is making the shape of a man's body, the body of his father. AT the same times he is reciting the poetry loudly, and drinking the beer.)


The son:
My father is cruel like a lion
He is going to kill me
If I were stronger than him
Certainly I would teach him
Inter cut….
(The father is working over both the dead animals with his knife, at the same time he is drinking beer.The reciting voice of the son is going on…it can be mixed during the editing.)

Inter cut….
(The son has finished his bottle and has also completed his father's figure with help of the dry woods. Now he goes to the front of the figure, and looks silently at it.)

The voice of his father:
Do not stop….continue with your voice.
(The son says nothing, but stares at the wood figure of his father.)
I said to continue with your voice.
(Again the son says nothing)

Inter cut..
(The father finishes his beer and looks at the empty bottle. )

The father:
(Very forcefully throwing the empty bottle at a big stone)
I said recite your poetry…

Inter cut

The son:
(The son begins reciting the poetry in a loud and angry voice)
My father is cruel like a lion
He is going to kill me
If I were stronger than him
Certainly I would teach him
(With the last stanzas, he strikes the bottle over the head of the figure).

Cut to….
Scene 5
Characters : The father and the son
Night/ Forest
(Both the father and the son sitting around a fire. Bird and rabbit are being cooked in the fire. Father is drinking beer, and the son is looking at the fire)

The Father:
Are you afraid to die?

The son:
No! I am thinking of the fire.

The father:
What?

The son:
It has made cooking easier.
The father:
That is true…Do you love your mother?
(The son says nothing but looks at his father face)
Every child loves his mother….Do you love your mother?

The son:
Yes.

The father:
Why and how?

The Son:
What do you mean? …You are always abusing her…May I ask why do you do this?

The father:
She is my wife and she has made my life hell….One day I will kill her too. It is very simple…

The son:
(Taking the bottle from his father's hand) But she is my mother…I can not allow you to humiliate her…

The father:
(Emphatically) Allow ! Ha…ha…ha…You wont allow me to humiliate her… Ha…ha…ha…I will kill both of you…first you and then your mother…She does not understand my poetry…and she burns everything I write for her…Is she a woman? She is a witch…devils rule her mind…You will not allow me… Ha…ha…ha…
Now tell me why do you love her? She is a beautiful woman and you are growing child, so why do you love her…Am I right…?

The son:
No, she is my mother, and she must be treated like a respected woman. You are always cruel to her…

The father:
You have to treat women that way. She knows only one thing how to tease a man…
(The father takes out the bird from the fire, and smell it) It is ready. We can eat it…
(He washes the bird with a cloth and put some salt over it and eats it directly, then he hands it the son.)
Just try it with beer.
(The son takes the cooked bird and eats it.)
Tastes good. You are always great ! What about the rabbit?

The father:
Have patience! It's cooking.

The son:
I know you are good and kind-hearted. I know you love me…

The father:
Shut up…and I am going to kill you. Do you know what have you done today? …You tried to kill me. With the same revolver I've used to kill criminals…(He picks up the revolver and points it at the son)…you wanted to kill me…Do you love your mother like a growing man?

The son:
(With anger) What do you mean by like a growing man? What are you talking about?

The father:
What am I saying?! Let me drink first…
(He reaches for the bottle, the son takes a gulp and then gives it to him. )

The son:
You taught me geometry, now I can solve any problem in two minutes.

The father:
I know ; I know…I have taught you history and geography…but you aren't good at biology or chemistry…Your physics is good…I signed your school report… Schools are hell for kids…they always have been.

The son:
What use is studying? You are going to kill me, and all my years of studying will go away…ha ! ha!! ha!!
(He laughs a real laugh….a natural laugh…as if he is laughing over the biggest joke of his life…He is very happy that all the studying will be lost, he will be free from all studying…The father looks at him angrily.)

The father:
Why are you laughing?

The son:
I am laughing at you…

The father:
At me! You love my woman, try to shoot me and then you laugh like a silly ass.

The son:
No, You have worked over me for long…almost golden fifteen years…and now you are going to destroy you own work…It is not a joke?

The father:
(Laughing from the bottom of his heart, The son laughs too…(Note….All the shots must be taken from three hundred sixty degrees—divide into two parts…160 and 160- degrees. This activity is the most important activity of the film---The natural father and the natural son, the two natural men…) ) You are right…I have gone mad!
(Turning into his old mood, the cold calculated anger.)
Why did you wanted to destroy me? Yes, it is big jock…But let me turn this jock into tragedy…
The son
(Still laughing) You wont kill me! How can I you kill me?

The father:
I have to follow my service book, you won't escape.
(First time, the son realizes he is in a real danger. His father is committed to his service book.)
Cut to……

Scene 6
Characters : The father and the son.
Night/Forest
(The father is standing while the son is laying on the open jeep and looking towards the black sky...The father is working over his rifles…He is trying to point out in the night…

The son:
Why do the stars twinkle at night?

The father:
It is an old question…there is no need to answer…

The son:
Old is gold! You have touched me…

The father:
Old is horrible! And it is the new lesson, You will not get it in any book…

The son:
Every theory demands scientific proof, that can be repeated again and again. You got my point?
The father
The woman for whom you were going to kill me is the best scientific proof…When she was new, she was pleasant, when she is old she is a barking woman.
The son
Father what is woman?
The father
When she is new, she pleasant; When she is old she is barking…
The father
Why do I love my mother?
The mother
Every child love one's mother…it is not miracle. But no child shoot one's father for her mother….You have done miracle.
The son
I have done it, for my mother. How do I love her? Let me understand it father from your mind.
The father
(In a very genuine irritating tone) You rascal ! …Let me shoot you first, then I will talk to you if you are alive….
( Close up, only covers the half body of the father, He shoot three shots…at the straight forward….if he has killed his son…Full close up…The eyes and the face movement...The expression of a father who has just killed his son….He turns his face and looks towards sky and shoots three shots…..)
Next shots : cover the easy face of the son who is still looking to arts….without bothering of the shoots…All bullets were fired just over his beside his right and left side and one bullet over his head….He is completely relaxed…
Cut to…..


2 comments:

Elsie said...

Hello Alok,

I wanted to add my comments today. This is an intense scene and I was riveted as I read it. At first all I could think about what I kind of father would put his son through this experience. I thought of a little boy watching his mother being abused and rushing to her aid. And I thought of young sons who feel powerless with stronger abusive males. The dynamic between the two in film would be fascinating. These young children often grow up with scares and a sense of powerlessness. Which makes more sense now, that I read it again. Your portrait of Hitler, your fascination with Machiavelli and revolutionary and powerful males. Perhaps it has something to do with the young son who felt powerless to protect his mother?

I like the tenderness in which you treat your father at the end. It wasn't until the last scene that it was clear that the son trusted that his father really wasn't going to kill him. Putting the rabbit out of it's misery was a symbolic gesture. My favorite scene was the young Alok making a pile of wood in the shape of his father and staring at it, and then breaking the bottle over his head. That was a beautiful and emotional image.

I'd like to see the scene prior to this one. The scene that led the boy to want to kill his father. I'm not so sure it was only the emergence of sexual interest in the child. I suspect it was more about fear, and the father was projecting his own desire for his wife onto the son. Maybe even jealousy?

I can't wait to see your movie.

Your nightingale,
Lar

Alok Nandan said...

Amazing Lara!!
100 per cent corect you are!!! I have come to this conclusion after a deep thinking over your worlds...Frued has used wrong words for wrong psychological casess....like Odepus Complex...Odepus has not seen his mother, even he did not know his father, it was a complite prophasy and accident....a mythical stroy...that has destroyed the concept of the son and the mother marriage system...Odepus escaped, from the father who had adopted him as his son and killed his won father...Watch the co-incidence...Oh, there is no sexuality among the son and the mother...Freud could not understand it....and I think his fault must be exposed.....for the betterment of human being....

Your all explaination is telling a lightfull story...How you are amazing !!!

You are liking this script very much...Oh ! it is a great reward for me...it is coverting into a good movie.....I am thrilled to write for my nightanle....

No jealousy!!! Let me deep down...if you can push me...push me..I want to go deep into this well...I thristy..and perhaps I might get in my own deep well...

with regard ...