Friday, May 9, 2008

The father and the son (Scene 15 to 20)

(by alok nandan, dedicated to a pearl )
Character: The father, and a guard, the advocate.
Night/ Ext/
(The father comes out of the hospital premise fast and goes to his Jeep. He puts down his rifle besides him and starts the Jeep. The Jeep comes out of the hospital premises. For a little while the Jeep runs on the road. It stops in front of a big house. He jumps from the Jeep and takes the rifle in his hand. When he tries to enter into the big house the guard stops him)
The father
I want to meet the advocate.
The guard
But it is too late, come in the morning.
The father
I have no time, I want to meet him now.
The guard
He is sleeping.
The father
I want to meet him just now means just now.
(He says in a fanatic tone)
The advocate
(From his portico) Guard, let the man come.
(The father looks to the guard and advances to the advocate)
Cut to….

Scene 16
Characters : The son and four youths
Night/Ent/Lock up.
(The son is sitting against the lock-up's wall. One youth is sitting besides his right side and the other is his left side. The other two youths are sitting in front of him. A youth besides his left takes out a pocket of cigret.)
The youth 1
(taking out one cigret) It is the last cigret.
(he looks to the son) Do you smoke?
The son
No.
The youth 1
You are arrested first time?
The son
Yes.
The youth 2 (right side)
He has killed a man. He will sent to prison for ten years.
The son
( Looking to him) My father will save me.
The youth 2
It is a difficult case, non-bailable offence. Certainly you will be sent to prison.
The youth 1
Do not worry we will be with you there and help you, although you have beaten us brutally. Would you like to smoke?
(He lit the cigret with the help of a match-stick and takes a deep puff.) Just try friend! You will have to learn a lot of thing in jail.
The son
I have never smoked.
The youth 1
Do not worry, you will be comfortable, it will relax you….There is a lot of mosquitoes here. (quickly he takes two deep puffs and makes his lops round and flow his smokes moving his head around.) Just take a puff.
(the son with a little hesitation, takes the cigret from his hand and very keenly looks to it)
puff it friend!!
(The son puffs softly)
Now make your lips round and push the smoke outside with the help of your breath.
(When the son makes his lips rounds and tries to push the smoke outside, the third youth sitting in front of hin very forcefully sticks his palm over his lips. All the smokes enters into his chest and he stats woofing. His face turns into red and he looks angrily into her eyes.)
The youth 3
Do not smoke like a woman, take the smoke inside; now a new a new world starts from here, and your father will not come to save you.
The son
(with fit of frustration) he will come, he will come, he will come.
(All the youths look each-other and they smile)
Cut to…..

Scene 17
Character: The father and the advocate.
Night/Ent /Inside drawing room.
(The father and the Advocate are sitting together in a drawing room.)
The advocate
(Thinking something deep) You are my old friend! So I do not want to tell you lie. It is a complicated case. The victim is still alive and laying in the hospital unconscious. We have only one ground.
The father
What ?
The advocate
He is under age. We have to put this point before Magistrate, but I do not think his bail will be granted. You have threatened the other party, and certainly it will work against the case. Even you can be arrested, if they complain against you.
The father
It would be far better, at least I will be with him in the jail.
The advocate
Do not talk silly. Now I am going to prepare all the papers. You must have some rest.
The father
He will be hungry, so let me go. I will meet you tomorrow in the court. (The father stands up) Thank you very much.
The advocate
I hope everything will go well.
The father
(With a confident voice) I want to save my son at any cost.
Cut to…

Scene 18
Characters : The father, The son, four youths, Police Inspector and some constables.
Night /int/ police station.
(The son is sitting among the youths. The Inspector is sitting on a chair. The father enters into the police station. He has bread and mutton in two different packets. He comes to the lock-up and sees the son)
The father
I have talked to the advocate. You need not worry about anything. Everything will be managed tomorrow in the court. Come and eat. I have bought bred and mutton for you.
(The son looks to the father and stands up.)
The son
I will have to spent night in the lock-up ?
The father
Let me talk to the Inspector.
(He comes to the Inspector)
(To Inspector) Please give me a favor.
(Inspector looks to the father, with a question mark in his eyes)
I have talked to my advocate, everything will be finalized tomorrow in the court. Just allow my son to stay outside of the lock-up. I have bought food for him.
the Inspector
I am sorry, it is not possible. He is not allowed to stay outside the lock-up. If senior officers visit in the night, they will take action against me for this act. But of course, he can eat here on my table.
(In loud voice) Constable! Bring the kid here.
(A constable opens the lock-up and the son comes to his father. The father touches his head lovingly and asks him to sit on a chair.)
the Inspector
Be comfortable. For a little while I am going out side. Constable give them water.
(The inspector goes outside and the constable brings some water in a jug. The father opens the packet.)
The father
(Opening the packets) I know, You like mutton and bread too much. Come and eat.
The son
(Eating mutton and bread) I think you should return home, mother would be alone. You really hate mother?
The father
(With a little irritation) You know she always tease me. She is not ready to understand my mind. I have been tolerating her for long, but you do not worry, I will not abuse her.
The son
(Eating mutton) Mother cooks well!
The father
Yes, She is a good cook.
The son
I would always wait for lunch and dinner. She would change dishes regularly…And I am sure you would, too, wait for lunch and dinner.
The father
Oh, Yes, she is an excellent cook. Earlier she was very gentle to me. She would take care of me. She sold her all jewelleries for my higher study. And then I joined this service and was sent for training.
The son
She would love you a lot. But I am not able to understand why she has turned? Is any mistake from your side?
The father
I know why she has turned, but you do not think of it. I promise you I will not abuse her.
The Son
Really you were going to kill me?
The father
No father can kill a son.
(The son is eating, and the father is sitting in front of him.)

A youth
(From the lock-up, in loud voice) Friend, we are hungry, Would you please provide us some food?
The son
(Looking to his father) I want to give them some food.
The father
You can.
The son
You go to mother, she would be waiting.
The father
Yes, I have to go. I will come tomorrow with the advocate. Take care.
(Father stands up and turns to the main door.)
The son
Do not tell mother anything about the killing episode.
(The father moves to the son and shakes his head in affirmation and then goes away. The son takes up both the packets and comes to the lock-up. All the youths take the food )
Cut to…
Scene 19
Characters : The father and the mother
Night/ Ext/ a beautiful small house.
(The father parks his Jeep in front of the house, The mother sees it from the window. The father enters into the house.)
Night/ Int/ In side a room.
(The father enters into the room, hangs the rifle on the wall and sits on a sofa. He opens his boot. Mother comes with a cup of tea.)
The mother
Mr. Panday has invited us in his daughter marriage ceremony. I have not seen her for long. She has grown up…Time runs very fast…It seems that it is the talk of yesterday…she would come her with her father…She was looking nice…now I want to see her as a bride, Oh one day my son has a bride…Where he is?
(The father looks to the mother but says nothing. In fact he is in a state of bewilderment how to say her about his son. Avoiding her question, he takes the cup from her hand and have a ship.)
It is time to come home? The food is ready, wash your mouth, meanwhile I will manage dining table. (With a little irritating tone) Where is that kid? He has made me mad…always do nonsense things…like father like son.
The father
I always abuse you. I am not a good husband.
(The mother looks to him with little surprise)
For me you have done a lot, I know it…You are angry with me, I never listened you…
The mother
(She realizes that something wrong with the father)
Is everything ok ? Where is my son?
The father
(Looking straight into his eyes) He is arrested.
The mother
Arrested! But why? What he has done? I know he is a hot tempered boy.
The father
He broke a bottle of wine over a man's head.
The mother
Oh, no!
The father
The man is struggling for life, I have talked to the advocate, possibly he will be released tomorrow.
The mother
Possibly ! How it all happened? I was always fearful of his anger. (With anger) You are always a wild man, and you son too is following your footprints.

The father
(With in an irritating tone) Do not start barking. I will save him.
The mother
How you will save him? He has almost killed a man, and you are saying that you will save him ! ( In a fanatic tone)
The father
(In a loud and irritating voice) Would you keep your mum shut please?
The mother
(With weeping voice) Earlier I have lost my husband, no my son, Oh God!!!
(The father comes to her and hold her gently, she clings to him and weeps)
Cut to…..

1 comment:

Elsie said...

Alok,

It's almost turning into a Dicken's like tale. I like the father trying to save the son. It certainly diminishes the violence in the earlier scenes. The scene in the jail with the young men smoking was well written and very visual.

I'm reading the next part now.

Lara